Arthritis is the inflammation in the joints. This is due to a number of factors like genetic Predisposition, inflammation, altered immune response, metabolic changes and others. The growing sedentary life-style has been an added factor which aggravates the condition irrespective of its cause. All forms of joint disease can be best understood in terms of following pathological processes:
- Degenerative joint disease- osteoarthritis(OA)
- inflammatory joint disease- Rheumatoid arthritis (RA
- metabolic joint disease- gouty arthritis (GA)
Common types of arthritic disease:
- Osteoarthritis: it is a degenerative joint disease in which the cartilage that covers the ends of bones in the joint deteriorates, causing pain and loss of movement as bones being to rub each other. It is most common forms of arthritis.
- Rheumatoid arthritis: it is an auto-immune disease in which the joint lining gets inflamed as a result of abnormal immune response of the body. Rheumatoid arthritis is one of the most serious and disabling types, affecting mostly women.
- Gout (gout arthritis): it affects mostly men, is due to metabolic disturbance in which increased uric acid settled down in the joint space causing inflammation. This painful condition most often attacks small joints, especially the big toe.
- Ankylosing spondylitis: A type of arthritis that affects the spine. As a result of inflammation, the bones of the spine fuse together leading to stiffening of spine.
Common sings and symptoms of Arthritis::
- Soreness in the joint after its overuse or inactivity
- Pain in the joints
- Stiffness in the mainly occurs on inactivity and disappears when put on use
- Impaired range of movement
- Joint may appear normal but bony enlargements may be felt around the joint margin.
- Characteristically involves weight bearing joints (AO)Swelling in the joints.
- Joint deformity may be seen in RA (swan neck deformity or Ulnar deviation)
- Other generalized symptoms are:
- B.low-grade fever
- Muscular pain
- Loss of appetite
- Cold and/or sweaty hand and feet
MANAGEMENT OF ARTHRITIS
- Om chanting and prayer
- Kriyas : Kapalabhati, kunjal
- simple joint movements
- Selected practice of sukshma vyayama P: griva-sakti-vikasaka (strengthening the Neck)(2),purna-kara-tala-sakti-vikasaka(developing the strength of the Ankles and the feet)
- Yogasanas :Tadasana, katichakrasana, konasana, urdhwahastottanasana, uttanapadasana, pavanmuktasana, vakrasana, gomukhasana, bhujangasana, dhanurasana, uttanamadukasana, ushtrasana, bhadrasana, makarasana ,shavasana
- Pranayama : Nadishodhana, suryabhedi pranayama, bhramari & bhastrika
- special practice : yoganidr
- dhyana (meditation)
- Treatment /management should being early to reduce joint damage.
- Since obesity has adverse effect on arthritis, an overweight person should gradually lose weight
- Avoid fried fools.
- Increase the fluid intake
- A liberal intake of milk is desirable
- Restrict the salty food and table salt in case sodium retention.
- In case of ‘Gout’ avoid purine rich food like fish, egg, peas, lentil, dry beans, red meat
- Eliminate caffeing and white sugar which increase pain and inflammation.
PREVENTION OF ARTHRITIS:
Pay attention to symptoms, se the doctors and get an accurate diagnosis: getting the right treatment requires getting the right diagnosis.
Start early: Early treatment can often mean less joint damage and less pain
Protect joints: Avoid excess stress on the joint .Assistive device can make tasks at home and work easier.
Get moving: Exercise help lessen pain, increase range of movement, reduces fatigue and helps to feel better overall.
An Orange juice a day: Recent research has shown the impotent of vitamin C and other antioxidants in reducing the risk of osteoarthritis and its progression. Oranges and other citrus fruit are good source of folic acid, which can help to alleviate the side effect of the arthritis drug methotrexate.
Resolve to reduce: lose weight. Every extra kilo one carry around translate to added stress to the knees and hips. Excess weight means more pain, no matter which form of arthritis.
Take as walk: walking is the ideal exercise for most people with arthritis. It burns calories, strengthens muscles and builds denser bones – all without jarring fragile joints.
Sit, soak and soothe: A warm bath before bed can relieve muscles tension, ease aching joints.
Sit, Soak and soothe: A warm is the before bed can relieve muscle tension, ease aching joints.
Stretch legs: Stretching is a simple way to keep joints and muscles flexible. It relieves stress and can help enable one to maintain the daily activities.
Kick butts: smoking can increase the risk of complications from lupus and Rheumatoid arthritis. It can predispose the person to osteoporosis.