Donation blood on a regular basis can be beneficial for the heart and circulatory system and reduce the risk of heart diseases, especially among youngsters .
Blood can not be manufactured: it can only comes as a gift from a person. We can donate blood four times in a year. One thoughtful move from us can save a life.
Eligible blood donors:-
- One should be above 18 years of age.
- You should not be underweight (At least 50 kg).
- Pregnant women are not allowed to donate blood.
- You should not take any drugs/medicines.
- You should not be suffering from any infectious or chronic diseases such as diabetes or flu.
- Your blood pressure should be normal.
There is a need to encourage regular blood donation among friends and family members. If all eligible donors donate on a regular basis, blood needs would be met and shortages could be a thing of the past.
Facts about blood donation
- It is a completely safe process. A sterile disposable blood collection bag is used only once for each donation.
- An adult person's body has about 4 to 6 liters of blood depending on size. Four components can be derived form blood - RBC, platelets, plasma and cryoprecipitate .
- The volume of blood donated gets replenished within 24-48 hours.
- It also helps burn the extra calories and reduces your cholesterol levels. It stimulates the production of new blood cells.
- It is an excellent way to get rid of excess iron, which can stimulate the formation of free radicals which cause damage to cells and tissues.
- Donating blood can be beneficial for the heart and circulatory system. It can reduce the risk of heart disease, especially among young people.
Some Points to Remember :-
- Do not consume alcohol for 48 hours before donation.
- In rare cases, when bleeding occurs after removing the bandage, apply pressure to the site and raise your arm for 3-5 minutes
Dr. Sharda Jain
Dr. Jyoti Agarwal
Dr. Rashmi Jain